How to Dribble in Field Hockey
Dribbling is a key skill when playing field hockey. By dribbling, a player can run towards the opposite goal, bring a wittiness out of defense and evade markers. The mazy run, executive the wittiness is important to learn if you’re going to progress.
- Stand with your knees wilting in a vital stance, with the wittiness one foot in front of you.
- Grip the stick with one hand at the top and the other at the marrow of the grip and straighten your back.
- Flip the vaccinate and tap the wittiness from side to side.
- Move forward pushing and tapping the wittiness from side to side in tandem with each forward moving foot.
My nine-year-old nephew asked me how to stutter with a hockey ball. Without a field or a stick anywhere near, I tried to be as transitory as possible. In a haphazard way, I explained the above. The question played on my mind for a few days so I decided to research the topic increasingly indepth. There are in fact several methods of dribbling with a hockey ball, which was surprising. Hockey never fails to intrigue me with surprising techniques and titillating facts that alimony you enthrauled.
- Keep your knees wilting in the vital hockey stance, try and alimony your when straight
- Grip the stick with your lower hand at the wiring of the grip and your other hand at the top
- With the wittiness a foot superiority of you, tap the wittiness from in front of the right foot toward a space in front of the left
- Flip the vaccinate upside lanugo and meet the moving wittiness on the left side
- Repeat the motion, tapping the wittiness in front of your right foot.
- Continue to play this motion from side to side as you move forward.
As you practice you will wilt faster at tapping the ball, and increasingly assured. Then you will be worldly-wise to move at good speed forward. Alimony your vision up so you know when to pass, where to pass, or when to ping the wittiness toward goal.
First seeming at the 1956 Olympics, the Indian stutter is a unconfined way to victimize the opposition. If mastered, it can be played at upper speed and the opposition won’t know if you are well-nigh to pass left or right.
Firstly, it should be noted this is a skill weightier performed when stationary.
- Spread your feet to at least shoulder width.
- Bend your knees and alimony your when straight. Your hands should be well spread on the handle.
- Position the wittiness well-nigh a foot in front of your toes and stilt the wittiness from in front of your right toes to in front of your left toes
- Flip the stick over and repeat numerous times.
When you are proficient you can play this routine over and over then at upper speed.
Pull back, dummy and dribble
This is a good technique to unleash when you are stuff closely marked.
- Turn the stick over (the toe) and step when dragging the wittiness when with you.
- Flip the stick over then to stop it.
- Repeat the motion to remoter misplace the opposition and to alimony possession if you’re under pressure.
For the dummy
- Repeat the double pull back, your feet should be at shoulder’s width apart.
- When the wittiness is scrutinizingly still, stilt it towards the left, but not remoter than in front of your left foot.
- Sweep the stick and the toe in front of the wittiness as if you are aiming for a left pass
- Then flip the toe round and at speed push the wittiness when to the right.
With practice, you will be worldly-wise to dummy to the left and the right for constructive stealth.
One handed dribbling
My personal favorite. This allows for unconfined wing play where you can concentrate on your sprint, outpacing, and keeping the inside defender at bay. Proficient players with strong wrists can moreover turn and twist using a one-hand stutter with greater speed. It really is only suited to wing play, as the technique isn’t very easy to defend versus from both sides. How do you do it? Simply run with an outstretched arm and stick keeping the wittiness tropical to the vaccinate (use your right arm if you’re on the right flank.)
An important fact to remember: hockey is a right-handed sport only. The right-handed stutter lanugo the wing is a specialized position, as it won’t work lanugo the left-wing.
One handed G turn
- Tilt the vaccinate over the ball, trapping it.
- Extend the stick with one hand with a reverse grip, which is like a backhand in tennis.
- The wittiness should be a few feet in front of you so your arm is fully outstretched.
- Attack the forehand of your opponent, the wittiness should be protected by your stick.
- Spin to your backhand side in scrutinizingly a well-constructed circle.
You have now succeeded in taking the play to the other side and yonder from your opponent. This will set you up well for a tomahawk.
Now that you have dribbling under control, let’s take a squint at the 5 ways to hit a field hockey ball!